Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 170

Thread: student expelled from UVAWise

  1. #91
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    It's like this..if someone did start shooting and another student has a gun, the shooter had best be behind a desk to cover his own a$$..I'd much rather be armed than unarmed in that situation. Still, I don't feel threatened enough to warrant carrying a gun myself when I go out in public. But if I did feel like that, I've got that right. And why is everyone concentrating on the guns...no one would have ever seen them if it wasn't for a freakin story.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  2. #92
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Oh believe me, I understand what you're saying, and I don't blame you. If someone else had a gun and was shooting anyone in sight, I'd rather have a gun than not as well just for the sake of defending myself rather than cowering in a classroom.

    It's just not a realistic situation for the reasons in my post.. It would certainly feel great to be a hero, but just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're suddenly the perfect answer to such an event, either.
    Officially retired

  3. #93
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    What's ur answer to the situation then?
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #94
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's ur answer to the situation then? </div></div>

    In the event of a shooting or in response to this UVA-Wise decision?
    Officially retired

  5. #95
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Either..
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  6. #96
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    In the event of a shooting, the police are supposed to be the answer. Of course we all know how that goes down most of the time. They tend to surround the school and set up a perimeter rather than actually infiltrating the school building in an attempt to take down the shooter before he (or she) can do any more damage. It's a great thing to do in order to ensure that the shooter doesn't escape and go shoot up a nearby neighborhood, but it's also a poor decision IMO because you're leaving everyone in the school building to die until a team can actually infiltrate to do something.

    It would be nice if all students could match up with a shooter, but it will never happen. I've heard of some neat ideas such as having bulletproof backpacks or even desks (the tops would be bulletproof; you could take them off and use them as a "shield"), but I doubt any of these would do much good. The best thing to do if you're a student is to simply hide or get the hell out - option #2 is especially key if you can get outside in a hurry.


    As for the UVA-Wise response, I feel that it was the right thing to do because of the shooting incidents that have occured in so many schools across the nation. It would be devastating if such a thing were to hit a small community such as this one, and I feel that it's better to take a risk and be wrong than to remain vulnerable and end up being sorry about it in the end.

    I really don't know what else to say. I'm just a forum poster so nothing I say will impact anyone or anything, but these are my opinions and like them or not, it's a shame the violence has reached such a level that we must argue whether or not weapons should be allowed on campus. Something clearly needs to be done and I'm not so sure anyone has found a cure to the problem just yet - or even come close to finding the cure for that matter.
    Officially retired

  7. #97
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    IMO a gun premit should be valid anywhere in the state it is issued in...campus or not. That way at least a gunman would have to think about the possibility that he might get splattered as well.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #98
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing is, the gun isn't what prompted the search...it was the writing. Maybe anyone that writes about violence or characters thinking about violence should be searched for guns. Not just one student. Also, if the punishment for possession of guns on campus is expulsion, it should be spelled out in black and white...not left open for interpretation. Like I said earlier...a nation of wussies. </div></div>


    OK I can agree with that I am not sure the writing alone should have been probably cause for the search but IMHO that is another argument.

    1) A Paper on its on warrants a search (I do not agree)
    2) being expelled for having a weapon in an area that bans them (I do agree)


    Now an argument could be made as to whether the UVAWISE no gun policy is a good or bad one but IMHO so long as it is a rule it should be enforced

  9. #99
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    But, STILL, why was he the only one searched...he clearly didn't have the most violent paper even said so in the Times News. A good lawyer will make this guy rich on a discrimination suit...lol...how bout that for ironic.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #100
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: student expelled from UVAWise

    Not so sure there could be other issues we do not know about leading to a pattern that lead to the search (even if that is not the case I would bet money that will be the defense)


    With all the folks jumping the VT Staff for not reading the signs sooner to stop there situation it would be tough for a court to find for him if there is a pattern shown that was acted upon.


    Again not saying it is right or wrong just that is how I see it playing out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •